Homemade recipes for natural eyelash growth serums ?
Yes, it’s true, and it all happens in the comfort of your own home.
Eyelash growth is something a lot of people are interested in. There are a bunch of different eyelash growth serums on the market, but they can be expensive.
If you’re looking for a more natural or budget-friendly solution, we have you covered as we will show you a few home remedies that can help.
Caution: one popular remedy found everywhere is to apply Vaseline or petroleum jelly to your eyelashes before bed. This is said to help to moisturize and condition your lashes, making them more likely to grow. Well, this is not really the case.
It will kind of protect them but not really moisturize them. I agree vaseline can be useful in certain cases but if you are looking for eyelash growth, that won’t do the job.
Instead, use real natural oils. Yes, you can use natural oils to help your eyelashes grow.
All-natural oils are ideal for penetrating into eyelash hair follicles, nourishing and moisturizing, minimizing lash fallout, and restoring good health. When you have healthy eyelashes, it leads to eyelash growth!
Some commercial eyelash serums may contain chemicals you are allergic to, then all-natural oils are safer and gentler.
And they’re not just good for your eyelashes – they’re also great for your skin! So why not give them a try?
Your eyelashes will thank you!
Anyway, back to my all-time favourite homemade recipes for enhancing eyelash growth serums. Each one provides nourishment and deep conditioning to overstressed eyelashes.
- 1 DIY Eyelash Growth: My 5 Favorite Recipes for Eyelash Growth Serum
- 2 Do DIY homemade Eyelash Growth Serums Really Work?
- 3 How Often Can I Use A DIY Eyelash Growth Serum, And Are They Really Safe?
- 4 What Is The Best Application Routine To Follow?
- 5 Follow These Tips To Make The Most Of Your Homemade Eyelash Growth Serum
- 6 What Is The Best Way To Store Homemade Eyelash growth Serums?
- 7 What About Vaseline? Can Vaseline Make Your Eyelashes Grow?
DIY Eyelash Growth: My 5 Favorite Recipes for Eyelash Growth Serum
The following recipes for homemade eyelash growth serums are easy to make, plus they’ll last a long time.
Make sure you have a wand and a clean, empty, mascara container so you can start creating your own DIY eyelash growth serum. You will find below some links to the containers I use.
If you only pick one ingredient for your eyelashes, go with castor oil. This is really the best oil for any type of hair growth, ranging from hair to eyelashes. Some people even use it on the scalp to boost hair regrowth especially for bald patches.
It is very thick and a bit sticky. yes, castor oil can be tedious to use. In fact, people often apply way too much oil to heir eyelashes and end up having castor oil everywhere. So just use a more minimalistic appraoch. Just use the minimum quantity and add more if needed. ( sometimes the less is more 🙂 )
I am sure you will love it 🙂
Recipe #1 : The supercharged herbal eyelash serum
This recipe is my absolute favorite among the homemade eyelash growth serums. The 2 essential oils really boost the castor oil which is alone a real game changer 🙂
Just take a look at these three eyelash-enhancing oils that work great when used together:
- Castor oil – This is by far my all-time favorite oil for eyelashes. This is a thick, viscous oil that’s incredibly rich in proteins, Vitamin E, and fatty acids. Castor oil embeds itself deep into hair follicles, and your lashes will welcome instantaneous nourishment and hydration. Castor oil has been used since the beginning of time to prevent baldness, and it’s certainly up for plumping your eyelashes! Try it, you could be stunned…..
- Rosemary Oil: Rosemary oil stimulates hair follicles, promoting eyelash growth.
- Lavender Oil: Lavender oil soothes and conditions the skin around the lashes, making them look healthier and shinier.
Growth Serum Step-By-Step Recipe Instructions :
- take your empty mascara container ( I use this one here from amazon) and add one of drop each essential oil : rosemary essential oil ( I like this one here on amazon )and lavender essential oil ( I use this one here ). Don’t add more than one drop as essential oils are strong and if you have sensitive skin, maybe skip the use of the 2 essential oils or just stick with either rosemary or lavander… This combination does boost the efficacy of castor oil but safety goes first.
- fill up your container with castor oil ( my favorite brand here from amazon), you will find more expensive brands, don’t waste your money.
- shake, shake, shake to mix the contents.
- Using a mascara wand, dip into the DIY eyelash growth serum then gently brush the serum onto your eyelashes, starting from the roots and moving towards the tips. Use nightly before bedtime and you’ll soon see longer fuller eyelashes!
Be careful, castor oil is very thick so you will have to get the hang of it. It will be a bit tedious at first. Just the use the minimum amount on your eyelashes and build up from there if you need more. It is easier to add more than the other way around lol.
Recipe #2 – The Holiday Eyelash Growth Serum
This is a super-easy eyelash conditioner and you’ll find that your lashes thicken within just a short period of time.
- Castor Oil: This natural oil is a real gift from nature, it is loaded with nutrients that help eyelashes grow longer.
- Coconut oil –This beautiful smelling oil reminds me of vacation, this oil is chock-a-block full of fatty acids and nourishing vitamins. They bind together to protect both the strands and roots of your eyelashes. The coconut oil contains fatty acids that are typically lauric acid and include both antibacterial and antifungal properties that protect your eyelashes from falling prey to infections that limit hair growth.
Growth Serum Step-By-Step Recipe Instructions:
- Use an empty mascara container and add a combination of equal parts coconut oil ( the brand I love is this one here and castor oil. ( my favorite brand here on amazon)
- Close the mascara container and shake vigorously to mix the contents.
- Use the mascara wand to dip into your new DIY eyelash growth serum. Gently brush the serum onto your eyelashes, starting from the roots and moving towards the tips. You only need a small amount because castor oil can weigh down your lashes due to its heavy weight.
Recipe #3 – The Biotin Based Eyelash Growth Serum
This is a slightly more advanced recipe because it involves different ingredients.
Castor oil: the best oil for hair or eyelashes, it is literally food for your hair…..
Argan Oil – This is another ingredient that’s full of antioxidants, like Vitamin E, which is renowned as being a brilliant moisturizer. It also contains essential fatty acids to hydrate, nourish, and promote healthy eyelash growth. Argan oil is especially helpful when you need to reverse damage caused by harsh chemicals, like mascaras and lash glue. Research reveals that Argan Oil actually promotes longer hair growth!.
Liquid Biotin: You may not be familiar with Biotin, but it’s often referred to as Vitamin H. Interestingly, the letter H’ contained in Vitamin H comes from the German words Haar and Haut, which mean hair and skin. Vitamin H is great for anything to do with hair and skin, and it’s especially great if you have eyelashes that are prone to breaking and being brittle and thin. Biotin takes care of all of this.
Growth Serum Step-By-Step Recipe Instructions:
- Use an empty mascara container on amazon and add approximately 5 to 10 drops of liquid Biotin. We used this brand here, there are more expensive brands but this one does the job well 🙂 plus you can also take it a as a supplement which is even better.
- Then pour in the castor oil ( my favorite brand here ) to fill about 70% of the container and add the Argan Oil to fill the rest.( the argan oil I currently use is here )
- Seal the tube, then shake to mix well.
- Using a mascara wand, dip into the DIY eyelash growth serum then gently brush the serum onto your eyelashes, starting from the roots and moving towards the tips.
Recipe #4 – The 3-Oil Eyelash Growth Serum
This is a DIY eyelash growth serum that will be easier to use as almond oil can help thin out the mixture.
Although it’s not the sweetest-smelling product around, it produces great results in strengthening and lengthening eyelashes. Regarding Neem Oil, it does have many beauty benefits, and while the smell is not great, it can promote quicker eyelash growth. So, if you can ignore the nasty smell, the perks of eyelash growth certainly make up for it!
- Castor oil: our beloved natural oil that will transform your eyelashes. This is the oil that will nourish and really help lengthen your eyelashes if you use it daily. ( my favorite castor oil brand here ).This oil is a bit thick so here we will add 2 oils that are lighther so it will make the mix easier to apply and use 🙂
- Sweet Almond Oil: This is a lovely, light oil, and is perfect for mixing with castor oil and neem oil. Sweet Almond Oil is rich in growth-promoting calcium and eyelash-growth Vitamin E. Your lash hair follicles will be nourished, which will prevent them from breaking.
- Neem Oil – This is a great oil for eyelash growth. In fact, it’s a great product for any type of hair growth, which explains why it’s contained in most hair growth shampoos. Neem Oil is rich in oleic and fatty acids that moisturize and deep-condition brittle, dry eyelashes, bringing them back to good health. Neem Oil also contains regenerative properties that support hair follicle function and growth plus antifungal, antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
Growth Serum Step-By-Step Recipe Instructions:
Don’t worry, you will find below the links to the products I use from my favorite shop Amazon…
- Using an empty mascara container pour a 10: 20:70 mixture of castor oil, Neem Oil and Sweet Almond Oil (meaning 10% of castor oil, 20% of neem oil and 70% of sweet almond oil)
- Seal the container, then shake well to combine.
- Using a mascara wand, dip into the DIY eyelash growth serum and brush with gentle strokes onto your eyelashes. Start from the roots and move towards the tips.
Recipe #5 – The “Mistake” Eyelash Growth Serum
This is an interesting recipe, in-as-much-as it came about due to a mistake in reading the ingredients! The result was surprising, but it came with great results. Be patient with this one too as results can take time 🙂
Castor Oil: you know by now that castor oil is a must for anything related to hair, eyelashes, or eyebrows. It is a thick, viscous oil that is derived from the seeds of the castor bean plant. Castor oil has been used for centuries for its medicinal purposes and more recently has become a popular natural remedy for eyelash growth. It works by moisturizing and strengthening the hair follicles.
In addition, castor oil is rich in nutrients like vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, which can help to promote healthy hair growth. So, if you’re looking for a natural way to give your eyelashes a boost, castor oil is a must try.
Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil is a clear, odorless oil that is extracted from the jojoba plant. The oil is composed of long-chain fatty acids, which makes it an excellent moisturizer for skin and hair. Native Americans have been using Jojoba oil for its healing properties for centuries. In recent years, the oil has gained popularity as a natural eyelash serum. When applied to the eyelashes, Jojoba oil can help to promote growth and strength.
The exact mechanism by which Jojoba oil stimulates eyelash growth is not fully understood, but we believe it works by increasing circulation to the hair follicles. In addition to promoting eyelash growth, Jojoba oil can help to protect the eyelashes from damage and breakage.
Growth Serum Step-By-Step Recipe Instructions:
- Using an empty tube, bottle, or other container, combine 2 tablespoons of Jojoba Oil ( amazon) with 4 tablespoons of Castor Oil ( amazon). ( the ratio is 1/3 jojoba oil and 2/3 of castor oil to make it easier for any volume)
- Seal the container, then shake well to combine. This could be difficult because – while both oils are effective at promoting hair growth – they have very different properties. Jojoba oil is a light oil that is easily absorbed by the skin. Castor oil is a thick oil that takes longer to absorb. As a result, some people find it hard to use castor oil alone. that is why adding a ligther oil can help. Here, the jojoba oil will help to thin out the castor oil, making it easier to apply evenly.
- Store your concoction in a cool place, and use it daily with a mascara wand.
Do DIY homemade Eyelash Growth Serums Really Work?
Eyelash growth serums promise a lot: longer lashes, thicker lashes, healthier lashes.
But do they deliver? And what’s the difference between a serum and, say, Latisse? Let’s take a closer look.
First, let’s talk about what eyelash growth serums actually do.
And then there’s Latisse, which is actually a prescription medication (more on that in a minute).
As for whether or not eyelash growth serums actually work… that depends.
If your goal is longer lashes, then you may see some results. But if you’re looking for thicker lashes, you may be disappointed. The reason is that eyelashes are mostly made up of protein, and serums can’t actually change the structure of your eyelashes. They can only help to nourish them and make them healthier.
So what about Latisse? Latisse is a medication that contains the active ingredient bimatoprost. We actually use Bimatoprost to treat glaucoma, but one of the side effects is longer thicker lashes. That’s why Latisse is sometimes called an “eyelash growth serum.” But because it’s a prescription medication, you should only use it under the supervision of a doctor. Yeah latisse can lead to side effects ranging from darkening of the eyelid skin and irises to lowering eye pressure.
If you’re looking for longer, healthier lashes, an eyelash growth serum ( check our reviews HERE) may be worth a try. But for best results, combine both a homemade eyelash growth serum with Latisse!
How Often Can I Use A DIY Eyelash Growth Serum, And Are They Really Safe?
Homemade eyelash growth serums can be made with ingredients like jojoba oil, castor oil, neem oil, and cocoa butter.
But are these ingredients safe for everyone? And what if you have an allergy to one of them?
The best way to find out is to do a patch test first. Apply a small amount of the serum to your forearm and wait 24 hours to see if there is any reaction. If you experience redness, itching, or swelling, then that particular ingredient is not safe for you to use.
It’s important to apply the serum correctly in order to avoid any irritation or other problems.
The best way to apply eyelash growth serum is to use a clean, disposable wand. First, remove any makeup or debris from your eyelashes with a gentle cleanser. Then, dip the wand into the serum and apply it along your lash line, being careful not to get any in your eyes. Finally, allow the serum to dry completely before applying any mascara or other eye makeup.
As with any makeup product, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly before applying the serum to your eyelashes. And if you have any leftover serum on your eyelashes, remove it before going to bed. Otherwise, you may wake up with puffy eyes!
By following these simple steps, you can use it everyday ( better at night before sleeping, so it won’t be an issue if you apply makeup such as mascara etc…).
I tried using it n the morning thinking it would not be an issue with my mascara. Boy! I was wrong, it was such a mess…. ( I agree, anyone could have guessed it was going to be a mess but I like to try things and on top of that, I am stubborn hahah. The worst combination lol. )
What Is The Best Application Routine To Follow?
Applying eyelash growth serum is easy!
- First, make sure your face is clean before you start.
- Next, take a few drops of eyelash growth serum and apply them to your eyelashes. Use an applicator to apply the serum evenly.
It’s important to be gentle! or else, you may irritate your eyes.
If you’re using eyelash growth serum as part of your nightly skincare routine, you can leave it on overnight. Otherwise, wash it off after a few hours. ( I prefer to let it sit all night, i beleove it is much more efefctive this way and less troublesome lol)
And that’s it! Applying eyelash growth serum is easy and only takes a few minutes – but the benefits can last a lifetime.
Follow These Tips To Make The Most Of Your Homemade Eyelash Growth Serum
When it comes to getting the most out of an eyelash growth serum, there are a few things that you should keep in mind.
- First, you should use the serum daily. This will help to ensure that your lashes are getting the nutrients they need to grow.
- Second, wash the eyelash brush before using it. This will help to remove any build-up on the brush.
- Third, make sure you wash your face before applying the serum. This will help to remove any dirt or debris that could prevent the serum from reaching your lashes.
- Fourth, apply it at night so you let your eyelashes “absorb” as much as possible all the nutrients it needs to grow 🙂
And one bonus tip: Did you know that you can use eyelash growth serum on your eyebrows? This can help to give them a boost of growth as well. Just be sure to comb them in the morning to evenly distribute the serum.
What Is The Best Way To Store Homemade Eyelash growth Serums?
Just remember that when it comes to storing homemade eyelash growth serum, proper preparation is key.
- First, sterilize a small glass bottle or jar with a tight-fitting lid. You don’t want any bacteria getting in and contaminating your precious serum.
- Next, combine all of your ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Once your serum is ready, carefully pour it into the sterilized container and seal it tight.
- Store it in a cool, dark place and use it as needed.
With just a little bit of prep work, you can easily store homemade eyelash growth serum for future use. So go ahead and whip up a batch – your lashes will thank you for it!
Try to keep the tube or container air-tight. If stored properly, your homemade eyelash growth serums can last up to a year.
What About Vaseline? Can Vaseline Make Your Eyelashes Grow?
Eyelashes are one of the first things people notice about you, so it’s no wonder that many of us are looking for ways to make them look their best.
There are plenty of beauty products on the market that promise to give you longer, thicker eyelashes.
One popular method is to apply Vaseline to your eyelashes before bed and leave it on overnight. The idea is that Vaseline will moisturize and condition your eyelashes, making them stronger and less likely to fall out.
Some people also claim that Vaseline can stimulate eyelash growth.
Sorry to disappoint you but there’s no scientific evidence to support these claims, and the reason is simply because it will not really make your eyelashes grow.
It will condition them for sure by adding a thin layer of oil but that is all…… So, don’t waste your money or energy with Vaseline and stick with natural oils that will be much more beneficial.
I hope our article about our favorite recipes for homemade eyelash growth serums was helpful.
Feel free to let us know your results.
In the meantime, stay awesome 🙂