Face fat is a common problem with women of all ages.
While everyone is beautifully unique in their own way, a slimmer face is usually considered to be aesthetically more pleasing to the eye compared to chubby cheeks, a double chin and a rounder face shape.
Just give a look at the models, actresses or reality TV stars….
Because of this perception, we tend to do anything and everything to slim down our face.
Some methods work, some don’t and some are just plain ridiculous.
Which methods work and which don’t?
How to lose face fat for men and women? How to lose weight in your face? How to reduce face size?
There are so many questions to ask about how one can slim down their face. And, hopefully our detailed guide can answer most of them.
- 1 Body and Face FAT – what is it?
- 2 Do we really need face fat or body fat?
- 3 Types of Fats
- 4 How much fat is in my body?
- 5 Moving on to Face Fat
- 6 Why is my face so chubby or fat?
- 7 Method 1 : how to lose face fat with the overall approach
- 8 Method 2 : How to reduce face fat with Facial Exercises
- 9 Method 3: Facial Massage to boost your fat burning results
- 10 Method 4 :The magic of fat burning foods
- 11 Method 5 : Why sleep can affect your fat burning ability
- 12 Method 6 : how to lose face fat with Surgical Procedures
- 13 Method 7 : Injectables
- 14 Method 8 : Radiofrequency energy by professionals and home devices
- 15 Method 9: Makeup and Contouring
- 16 Other Tips for a Slimmer Face
Body and Face FAT – what is it?
Before showing you how to lose face fat, you need to know the basics on FAT: let’s start with body fat first before moving on the face fat.
You probably know what fat is.
Broadly speaking, it is a substance that’s oily.
Body fat is called adipose tissue. It is made up of fat cells called adipocytes in the scientific world. Imagine those fat cells in your body as small plastic bags holding a drop of fat in it.
So body fat is simply many “bags” of fat distributed all over the face and the body.
Most of those fat cells are found directly under our skin. This is what we call subcutaneous fat (80% of all body fat). The rest of body fat is located near the internal organs. This is what we call visceral fat.
So that is why body fat can be seen in layers under our skin and around certain organs. Not all fats are bad, as our body actually needs good fats to function properly and to fight off diseases.
We, however, tend to eat more fat than our body needs. What’s worse is we eat more of the bad fat rather than the good one.
Do we really need face fat or body fat?
As mentioned, YES because fat does more for the body than you think.
Here are a few things that fat does:
- Fat is a source of energy in our body.
- It provides cushion for the skin and the organs it surrounds.
- The fat in our body allows us to process fat-soluble vitamins like Vitamin A, D, E, K.
- The right amount of fat on the face makes us look plumper, smoother and younger.
Types of Fats
There are two main types of fats: saturated and unsaturated.
Unsaturated fat is generally better for us than saturated fat. It is mainly because of the molecular structure of the types of fat.
- Saturated fat molecules unfortunately stick to each other easily, forming regular shapes. When we have too much of this in our body, clumps of it can form easily at the side of blood vessels and organs causing major problems like a decrease in blood oxygen and an increase in blood pressure.
- Unsaturated fat molecules, on the other hand, form irregular shapes and they do no stick to each other easily: the reason is simple, they have a chemical double bond that gives the fatty acid a less regular shape, so it is more difficult for them to stick together.
We mostly get saturated fat from animal products: meat, eggs, dairy and etc.
Unsaturated fat is commonly gotten from vegetable products: olive oil, soya oil and the like
There’s another kind of fat that you need to watch out for and this is the trans fat.
This is the most dangerous type of fat because it is vegetable fat that has been artifically enhanced with extra hydrogen, changing its natural nature and becoming solid at room temperature.
Why do food companies like trans fats? These fats are more stable so they can extend the shelf life of products that contain them, which means more profits for food companies as products last longer so they can be sold for a longer period otherwise…
But the downside for us? Having this kind of fat in our body increases our chances of having cardiovascular problems, raising bad cholesterol.
How much fat is in my body?
Ok we need fat in our body, but how to know when we have too much of it?
There are several ways for us to determine the amount of fat in our body.
There are machines and other tools that have been developed to accurately tell the percentage of fat we have in our body, like this one we found on Amazon but if you do not have access to those, the easiest method would be to calculate our Body Mass Index or BMI.
BMI is a number calculated from the ratio of weight and height. This number will tell you whether you have an ideal weight, underweight, overweight or obesity.
Formula: BMI is a person’s weight (in kg) divided by the square of their height (in meters).
- Kg = your weight in kilograms
- m = your height in meters.
- As a reference: 1 meter = 39.4 inch
You can also use a BMI chart to find the number for your case.
How to use the chart? The vertical axis indicates the weight in pounds or kgs. The horizontal axis is heights in feet/inches or cm. Pick your height and find your weight. When you find your weight, check the BMI number that is at the intersection of your height and your weight. And voilà you got your BMI number.
Example: a woman whose height is 5 feet 2 inches and a body weight of 110 pounds has a BMI of 20.
Conclusion depending on your result:
- 19 to 24 = ideal weight. It is normal and good weight.
- 25 to 29 = Overweight
- 30 to 39 = Obese
- Over 39 = extremely obese (morbid)
A high BMI can be an indicator of too much fat in your body. Although it is not as accurate as other methods, it’s been proven to be effective at determining whether a person is susceptible to health problems by having too much fat or being overweight.
Moving on to Face Fat
Now that we know the basics on FAT, we can move on to face fat. Let’s check how the fat in our faces are placed to further understand how we can lose them:
Our face has several layers under it.
First we have the bone, which naturally gives our face its shape. On top of it are the muscles, then the fat and the last layer is the skin.
Going back to the fat layer, face fat is located in different areas of the face and is separated into distincts parts.
You have fat compartments or pockets above your eyelids, on your cheeks, your temporal-lateral cheek area, your jawline, your chin and the front portion of your neck.
Facial ligaments hold these pockets together. Because of several external factors and natural processes, the ligaments weaken with time and fat can migrate and relocate to places they should never be in the first place (your chin, most commonly). That gravity sucks 🙁
Of course, age is not always the issue.
If you have a high number of BMI (body max index), chances are you may have more face fat as your body has stored the excess fat under your face skin.
Yep, if you eat more than what you burn, your body needs to deal with that excess fat that it will store everywhere it can… it will probably start with your butt or chest, thigs and belly and keep going with your face.
Yes, your face is also a fat storage location…
Why is my face so chubby or fat?
As you may have already read, there are different reasons to why we have chubby cheeks or chubby face.
Here’s a more in depth look at more reasons:
- This has already been mentioned earlier. It may be because it is the way your face is structured. The way your skull is shaped might be contributing to your faces chubby appearance. Have you ever heard of the expression “big boned”? The concept is similar to that.
- Other than bones, note that muscles being overdevelopped can also give a prominent looking jaw.
- Of course, there’s a direct relation to gaining weight and having chubby cheeks. The more calories you take in, the more your body will spread fat tissue to your fat stores. Think of these storage areas as bowls of different sizes. When the big bowl is full, the body will of course move the other fat tissues to the small bowl. Do you get the drift?
- There’s of course water retention, which is caused by hormonal changes in a woman’s body (during puberty, pregnancy and, sometimes, right before her monthly period) and by a higher intake of salt, sugar and processed foods. A diet that’s mostly composed of carbs also contributes to a person’s water retention.
- Ageing, smoking, stress and alcohol intake can also contribute to facial fat. These factors can cause the weakening of the muscles and the ligaments that hold the fat pockets on our face causing the fat to relocate to other areas of the face and making it look chubbier or with double chin…
Well, now that you have a better understanding of your face fat, it is time to have a look at how to lose face fat and what methods you can try to reduce it.
If you are ready, let’s dive in.
Here are the 10 methods you can use alone or combine to lose weight in the face.
Method 1 : how to lose face fat with the overall approach
The first and cheapest method is still losing body fat as a whole.
Yet, through exercise, you can’t really lose just face fat, shoulder fat, tummy fat and so on.
It may be possible with the home devices we mention in the following chapters below but fat spot reduction with exercise is not easy.
You have to lose fat as a whole in order for areas in your body to also lose fat.
To lose body fat, you have to exercise, eat right and hydrate. You can add consistency too because it’s not like you can exercise, eat right and drink the right amount of water one day and then lose face fat just like that. No. You have to add consistency in your routine to make it work!
In a nutshell, it boils down to the famous rule: the input must be lower than the output
You need to burn more calories than what you eat. If you eat more than what you burn then you store fat… Simple as that.
Of course this method is not suited for those who only want to know how to lose face fat fast in a week or how to reduce face fat in 10 days. this method takes time and patience but frankly it is worth it. That will also give you a hot body as a bonus… totally worth it 🙂
The onion and last stored, first burnt rule
Yet, even if fat spot reduction is not easy, you still can predict how your fat reduction will evolve.
How ? That is simple. You need to imagine your subcutaneous fat as several layers of an onion (I know it is not the sexiest image, but bear with me.) Imagine your belly as a big onion, your butt as a onion, your face as an onion etc…
By exercising, and triggering your “fat metabolism”, fat will come off layer by layer for each onion. It won’t start from the same spot for everyone. The rule is: it will start from the most recent location.
Ex: if your butt started storing fat first, and was followed by your belly, and afterwards your face, then when you start exercising, as time goes by with consistent exercise your face will start losing fat first, then your belly will follow then your butt will be the very last location for your fat to go away.
The good news?
The face is usually the last location for fat to appear, so that is the first to burn its fat 🙂
But don’t get me wrong. Your body will not get rid of all your face fat before targeting your belly fat. No. That would be too easy 🙂
Remember the layer concept?
Your body will start shedding the first layer of face fat, then the first layer of belly fat then the first layer of butt fat and then the 2nd layer of face fat etc….It is of course a really simplified description of how it works. You can imagine it is much more complex than that.
Excess skin is also an issue to keep in mind after body fat loss. This might require some tightening (either with Radiofrequency RF devices we’ll discuss later on or surgery procedures depending on the severity of your condition)
Where to start with exercise
If you’re the kind of person who cringes at the thought of doing super tough crunches or heavy weight lifting, well, lucky you, you don’t necessarily need to work that hard to lose weight.
Running 2 times a week for about 15-20 minutes is a good start. (You don’t need to run very fast. Walking is fine too, simply increase the speed as you get used to exercising.)
We mentionned running but the thing is you can try out any other cardio exercises – these types of exercises raise your heart rate as well as your body temperature faster. They’re the best way to burn out those pesky fats!
Then when you feel stronger, you could try some workouts created by experts like tracy anderson (through Amazon) (We really love her at myawesomebeauty.com, her workouts do deliver great results !!! ).
There are plenty of other experts out there, some of you might prefer a male coach to get motivated, like my best girlfriend 🙂 (no judgment here)
I would be too distracted to be honest 🙂
Anyway, simply pick one you feel comfortable with and stick to his or her workouts to get results. I mean, get up and exercise…. Watching the video is not enough (ok I admit I used to do it, I am not perfect haha)
Don’t be alone
You can do it on your own, but it’s doubtful that you can be really consistent especially when no one is around you to push you, so the better idea would be to find a friend who would also like to shed a few pounds…
The more the merrier and the more motivated 🙂
Be accountable to someone like a relative or a friend. Have you ever seen the TV series, Biggest Loser? Obviously contestants on that show are bigger, but the point is they’re motivated because they are aiming for a prize.
You can do this with your friends too!
You can bet on who loses the most weight after X months. The bet (no matter what it may be) should motivate you to get going. (For example: the one who looses the least weight would have to invite the winner to a nice restaurant haha)
The magic formula to burn the most calories
What level of exercise intensity should I reach to burn the most calories?
A normal heart rate is 60 to 100 beats per minute.
But to know what level you need to target, you need to calculate your maximum heart rate.
You simply need to calculate your maximum heart rate (MHR). It is the fastest rate at which your heart will beat in one minute.
The formula is: MHR = 206.9 – (0.67 X age)
Don’t ask me why and how the Journal of medicine and science in sports and exercise came up with 206.9 and 0.67.
I only know they made pretty complex calculations that take into account many parameters (genes, life expectancy etc…) to reach these numbers.
Example : I am 29 (ok in fact, I have been 29 for many many many years haha) but let’s say I am 29 🙂
If I use the formula above, my maximum heart rate would be (206.9) – (0.67 X 29) = 187,47.
Ok that gives us about 188 beats per minute. That means that for my age (remember I am 29 haha), my heart would beat 188 times in one minute
Ok you have that number, so what?
Well, you can use that MHR number to figure out how hard you should work out to burn the most calories depending on your level of fitness.
- If you have not done any sort of exercise for ages, you should work out at 57-67% of your MHR
- If your activity is minimal, you should work out at 64-74% of your MHR
- If you exercise from time to time, you should target 74-84% of your MHR
- If you exercise regurlarly, you should work at 80-91% of your MHR
- If you swear by sports and exercise, you should work out at 84-94% of your MHR
Of course those figures are only references to help you, don’t take them at face value. Consult your doctor if necessary. Listen to your body. And don’t push it too hard.
Example: let’s get back to my example. I told you I am 29. (By repeating all day long; I can convince myself haha)
I exercise regularly (no lie here), so that means I should try to reach 80-91% of my MHR to burn the most calories. 80-91% of 188 beats per minute is: 139 – 158 beats per minute (or bpm). Then, my rule of thumb is to use the lower number (here 139) to avoid any excessive strain on my body and heart.
So when exercising, I will try to target 139 heart beats per minute, which is the zone where my body will burn the most calories.
Of course you will need a heart monitor such as this one, which is reliable and not too expensive (There are many other brands or models you can pick)
How long do I need to exercise to burn fat?
The duration of your exercises will mainly depend on how physically fit you are, but as a general rule, most sport experts recommend a workout /walk between 20- 45 minutes to start burning your fats.
Of course, if you are only beginning, no need to start with 20 minutes, you can start with only 5 minutes, for maybe the first week or the first 2 weeks, then once your body is stronger, increase the duration up to maybe 10 minutes.
Anyway, nothing is set in stone. You are your own boss.
The good thing is exercise can be pretty addictive in the long run as it helps your body release endorphins (those molecules that are released in your body that make you feel so relaxed and happy 🙂 )
My favorite workouts to burn fats
If you need an awesome workout, I would recommend you the Tracy Anderson method and workouts. I love her. Her method does really work if you commit to it. She has tons of workouts to try, and if you are beginner, you could maybe have a look at this one to get started.
Method 2 : How to reduce face fat with Facial Exercises
We want to get rid of face fat so instead of body exercises, common sense would tell us that facial exercises would be much more effective at targeting facial fat, wouldn’t they?
How do they work ?
Facial exercises can indeed help to reduce face fat.
There are limitations though. I know some people don’t agree and keep saying facial exercises are useless.
But sorry, I think these exercises can help from my experience.
- By contracting the facial muscles and exhausting them, as you would in a normal body workout, you can “burn” partially some fat surrounding the facial muscles as fat is turned into energy to make your muscle contract. It also helps to boost your blood circulation in your face area, which also helps in detoxifying and getting rid progressively of face fat.Of course, it would be irrealistic to think facial exercises will consume all the face fat. Your face muscles are too small, they wont alone burn your face fat, that is why it is important to exercise your body because your body muscles, being much bigger in size, they are way bigger consumers of fat (think of your butt muscles, your belly muscles etc..). They need high amount of energy to work, they will push your body to burn more fat to bring more energy ( or fuel ) to work properly. Think of your muscles as a car and fat as the fuel. The bigger the car, the more fuel you need to make it run (Carbs and proteins can also be used as energy). Yet, facial exercises can help give a boost to the overal fat burning 🙂
- Facial exercises are also really interesting to wake up the muscles that tend to get weaker and weaker with age, which often leads to the migration of face fat. Think of double chin, jowls. I know getting rid of fat is the ultimate target but by strengthening your muscles, your can fight back the gravity and get rid of double chin, sagging cheeks etc… In a nutshell, you stay and look younger much longer 🙂
I use facial exercises in my routine.
The exercises I use are those of Carolyn cleaves. She uses pretty advanced exercises that give great results. They are well explained so to gain maximum results. If you are looking for no bullshit material, have a look here.
Our 5 Easy facial exercises
In the meantime, here are some basic facial exercises that you can do before resorting to more advanced facial workouts or a more complete routine such as the Carolyn cleaves’ facial workout I just mentionned.
1. Chin Lifts for Double Chins
You can do this exercise while you’re sitting or standing.
Lift your chin up towards the ceiling. Your eyes should be fixed towards the ceiling too.
Hold this position and then curl your lower lip over your lower as much as you can.
Hold for 10 seconds. Then smile while keeping your lower lip curled.
Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 10 to 12 times.
You should feel your muscles work. This exercise will help stretch the muscles on your upper neck, jaw and face and help tone your neckline
2. Open Wide!
This move is as simple as dropping your jaw.
Begin in a sitting or standing position, with your head straightly positioned. Now, drop your jaw with your tongue resting on the back of your lower teeth. Drop your jaw and stretch it as far as you comfortable can.
Hold the stretch for 10 seconds and then repeat the whole process for 10 to 15 times.
Your muscles should feel tired pretty quickly.
3. The Fish Face
Yes, as you may have guessed, this facial exercise is going to involve sucking your cheeks in so you look like a fish.
While keeping this position, try to smile.
Hold this position for 10 seconds and then repeat 15 to 20 times.
4. Say X, Say O
The next move on this list needs you to say the letters X and O several times.
Exaggerate and open your mouth as wide as you can when saying the letter X.
Repeat this process for 3-5 mins for a good facial workout.
5. Swishing Mouthwash or Water
Have you ever swished mouthwash or water inside your mouth to the point where your cheeks kind of hurt?
That’s what you want. To do this exercise, you can do it the same way, but with slightly less intensity. Do this 3 times a day, just like how you would when you use your daily mouthwash. once you start feeling the muscle working hard, count mentally from 1 to 10 ( slowly) and stop.
All of these facial movements stretch out mostly the cheek and neck muscles and create friction to warm up your facial fat on the neck and jaw. All of these can help with toning your face and minimizing facial fat.
Method 3: Facial Massage to boost your fat burning results
Next up on our agenda to help us with face fat is facial massage. Ok, we won‘t be working on fat per se.
But because our puffy cheeks can be caused by water retention, facial massage by boosting blood circulation can really help and make a big big difference by giving us a slimmer looking face.
So if you wonder how to lose cheek fat, you can start by learning about facial massage.
Once again, when done together with body exercising, facial exercising and dieting, facial massage can do wonders.
Tip: the best time to do these facial massages is right after applying your regular serum or day/night cream for better skin absorption. that is how you optimize your time as well 🙂 our motto: be more beautiful and smarter too 🙂
Lymph Drainage Massage
This type of massage can help slim down the face by directing fluid away from the facial tissues.
It mainly helps draining the lymph, carrying waste products away from the tissues back toward the heart. This technique also promotes good circulation!
Have a look at the video of our gorgeous friend jessie showing how to do this great massage :
How to do Lymphatic Drainage Massage
- With 2 hands, use 2-3 fingers of each hand to gently massage the area around your collarbone. You simply press this area very gently. Don’t use too much pressure here. You will do it 30-50 times. Do it very slow. This gets your fluids moving.
- Use your knuckles (you can use your fingers if you want a lighter approach) to brush down right behind your ears to the collarbone area we massaged in the first step. You can use some pressure here and repeat it 25-30 times.
- Then use your index and middle fingers to massage the area behind and in front of your ears. (your fingers make a V shape) Simply massage behind the ear with the index finger and the front area with the middle finger. Do it 25 – 30 times. You should start feeling your face blood circulation being increased.
- Let’s focus on the jawline now: use your knuckles, start from the chin and go up by applying some pressure towards your ears. Do it 25-30 times.
- Next, place your knuckles under your eyes, on your cheeks to be more precise and move them towards your ears by drawing a circle from the nose to the ears. Remember to apply some pressure. Do it 25-30 times.
- Now the forehead: use your knuckles and brush your forehead with your 2 hands dealing with a half of your forehead. Start from the middle and brush your forehead with some light pressure from the middle to the sides. Repeat it 25 -30 times.
I can guarantee you it is very relaxing and it will definitely help with reducing facial bloating ( it is also great to fight headaches and allergy symptoms 🙂 )
You can do it once or twice a day: in the morning and before sleeping.
Method 4 :The magic of fat burning foods
What if I told you there are specific foods that can give you a hand in burning fat? Too good to be true? It is true!!!
There are really burning fat foods that can help you spike your metabolism and help get rid of your unwanted pounds and fats.
So, if you don’t know how to lose face fat or fat in general, you’d better first start adding some of these miracle foods in your daily diet.
Of course, when we say daily diet, we mean balanced and healthy diet.
Don’t expect to eat junk food every day and incorporate a few fat burning foods from time to time….
1) Turmeric or Curcuma
This is a yellow spice often used as a component of curry dishes, which quickly became very trendy a few years ago for its effective anti-inflammatory effect in the body.
A recent study at tufts University showed that curcumin (one of the active substances in turmeric) has a positive effect on fat cells. In this study, mice were fed curcumin and as a result, they gained less weight and also had less body fat compared to another group.
What to do?
You can buy fresh turmeric/ curcuma but in fact, it is not very convenient (it can be sticky and can leave your hands and nailed stained yellow when you cut it in slices.) so I prefer to use the ready made turmeric powder, which is much easier to use. I use this brand you can find on Amazon, (very good quality and cost effective ).
Simply sprinkle some turmeric powder in your salads, eggs, fish, smoothies or fresh juices. Easy as ABC.
2) Tomato juice
When my doc told me that tomato juice is a good fat burner, I thought she was pulling my leg.
She showed me a study by the Laboratory of Molecular Function of Food in Kyoto. The scientists discovered that tomatoes could effectively activate our metabolism to burn more fat. (For those who want to know, this miracle substance in tomatoes is called 13-oxo- ODA)
A group of obese mice were fed 13-oxo-ODA for 4 weeks; they showed dramatic results not only by increasing fat burning abilities after consumption but also positive changes in blood sugar.
Another study confirmed the effects on fat metabolism with a group of women.
What to do?
The recommended intake most experts mention is a small glass of 200 ml of tomato juice each meal. So drink 3 glasses of tomato juice a day will help promote steady fat burning even without exercise. (Of course I suggest you to exercise to get better results 🙂 )
Try to make your own tomato juice as most juices in the market have added salt that can lead to water retention. So buy fresh organic tomatoes, use your blender and voilà. ( for those who asked me, any blender is fine. The hamilton beach blender here on Amazon is more than enough and not expensive.
Oh by the way, please don’t get us wrong, we did not recommend you to drink a bloody mary for fat burning haha
This green, flower-like vegetable can talk to your fat cells!!
More seriously, broccoli contains a phytochemical called sulforaphane that can stimulate an enzyme that trigger your fat cells to burn fat. It can also lower cholesterol and is loaded with vitamins and calcium.
What to do?
Simply eat broccoli the way you like it, whether it is in a soup, or more simply, cook it for a few minutes and add it as a side dish. As usual, let your creativity guide you and add broccoli when you can 🙂
(I even like to add some in my green smoothies haha)
Avocado is definitely a perfect weight loss food as the monounsaturated fats found in it actually help fat burning.
A recent penn state study found that people with daily consumption of oils such as the one found in avocados lowered their belly fat.
It is also able to boost our metabolism by protecting the mitochondria (the energy producing elements of our cells) from free radical damage.
It also provides 20 vitamins, minerals and nutrients that are necessary for healthy weight management.
What to do ?
Simply add slices of avocados in your salads, you can even add avocado to your daily smoothie.
You can now add guacamole everywhere without feeling guilty too haha (just don’t go overboard though and don’t get crazy on tortillas)
5) Brazil nuts
I love Brazil nuts, I could eat a truckload of it haha, and the good news is they are super healthy and great for weight loss 😉
Brazil nuts are very rich in selenium, which plays a key role in boosting our metabolism, and reproductive health.
In a nutshell (pun intended haha), it can increase your metabolism (good to burn more fat), and boost your libido as well. (That is also a way to burn calories if you think of it lol)
Those yummy nuts are also packed with minerals and nutrients such as copper, potassium, zinc and magnesium (which is is very important for women, as we are usually deficient in it)
Beware though, that only 5-6 nuts a day is more than enough to get your daily dose of selenium. Don’t go overboard as high level of selenium can be harmful.
What to do ?
I sprinkle those nuts in my fruit salad for breakfast, with a few drops of honey. Yummy !!!
6) Chia seeds
Chia seeds are not fat burners per se but because it can really speed up weight loss, I had to mention it in this list.
Those seeds are the current superstars of the raw and vegan community because the seeds are 20% protein, which is perfect for people who want to reduce their meat intake and still avoid any deficiency in proteins.
The other good thing with chia seeds is their ability to help us curb our calorie intake by making us feel full. Chia seeds indeed are also rich in fibers and swell up to 10-12 times their size so they form a gel in your stomach that will help you safely suppress your appetite. (It also helps with constipation)
What to do?
I like to use them for my mango pudding. I use 1/3 cup of chia seeds (I am currently using this brand I found on Amazon ) , 1 cup of coconut milk (love the scent), 1 cup of fresh chopped mango. I combine all the ingredients in a jar or bowl. I let the chia seeds soak the coconut milk and form the jelly texture in the fridge for about 4 hours. (You can add some honey if you want it to be sweeter. ) Voilà, you can serve and enjoy haha you will love it 😉
7) Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a must have for many reasons.
One of those reasons is that adding coconut oil in your diet can help you lose fat.
- First, coconut oil contains specific fats that are not as easily stored in fat cells as other fats. They are call medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). Why? Because our body preferentially uses them for energy, leaving less opportunity for them to be stored as fat
- Second, coconut oil can boost your metabolism by burning more calories, meaning if you replace your usual fats with coconut fats, you burn more calories even at rest according to this study.
- Third, several studies also show that coconut oil can reduce appetite, by increasing the feeling of fullness. Scientists are not sure how it works but it could be related to the way those fats are metabolized. In other words, coconut oil helps boost fat burning and reduces the appetite, which means, more “calories out” and fewer “calories in” 🙂
There was even a study published in the american journal of clinical nutrition which showed belly fat loss over 16 weeks when MCTs are consumed versus oilve oil. Less belly fat often leads to less fat face as a result…
No wonder, coconut oil is often called the weight loss oil 😉
What to do?
Instead of your regular oil, use coconut oil to cook with. Try to replace butter or your usual fats in your desserts by coconut oil too 🙂 yummy !! Our favorite one is this one from Amazon.
This spice is one of the most in interesting spices when it comes to fat burning and weight loss management. Most experts call it the fat burning spice
It helps to control blood sugar level in your body.
How? It helps move glucose into your cells faster, so there is less sugar in your blood.
You could ask me. Sophie? So what? What is the relation to fat?
Well, high blood sugar level leads to increased storage of fat in the body. So by helping decrease your blood sugar level, cinammon helps prevents excessive fat storage and helps you to lose weight.
Cinnamon also can delay the passing of food from the stomach into the intestine. As a result, you feel full for a longer time and eat less 🙂
It also helps the body process carbs more efficiently, which gives a boost to your weight loss efforts.
It has also may have antibacterial and antifungal properties.
What to do?
The average dose to use is a quarter of a teaspoon of cinnamon to reap its fat-burning benefits or about 1-3 grams per day.
You can add cinnamon powder daily in your meals when you can, such as in your herbal tea, your coffee, yogurt, in your morning smoothie, oatmeal. I even like to add some cinnamon to my apple pie, or cakes in general to get that nice extra flavor. If you prefer you can also take cinnamon capsules, which is a bit more convenient. I love the taste of cinnamon so I prefer the powder route like this one on Amazon 😉
Like many other people, you probably need your morning coffee to wake up and be ready for the coming day.
Well, did you know coffee can help to mobilize fat from the fat cells?
Coffee contains caffeine, which is a central nervous system stimulant. It tells the fat cells to break down fat and release them into the blood, so to be available for use by the other cells.
As a result, caffeine can increase your metabolic rate at rest by 3-11% according to this study.
So, caffeine can boost your metabolic rate and increase fat burning, but after a while the effect is less and less potent because your body gets used to it, and become tolerant; so it stops working after a while. There is a trick though. Keep reading.
What to do?
Drink about 1 cup to 2 cups of coffee per day but the trick is to use a cycling system to avoid the tolerance issue. stick to this coffee ritual for 2 weeks then stop for 2 weeks and so on… that way, you body should not get used to it and will keep burning fat with coffee 🙂
Make sure to drink black and caffeinated coffee (avoid non caffeinated as you obviously want the caffeine to get the fat burning effect)
10) Green tea
Coffee is great at burning fat but if you are like me and you don’t like the taste of coffee, you can drink green tea instead? I love green tea 🙂
Green tea is often considered by health experts as the healthiest beverage on the planet.
Green tea contains caffeine (a potent stimulant also found in coffee) and a very potent antioxidant called EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate).
- Caffeine as you already know can boost your metabolic rate and increase fat burning.
- EGCC is a potent substance that can also boost metabolism by telling fat cells to break down fat. This releases fat into the bloodstream and makes it available for use as energy by the other cells (muscle cells for example)
As is the case with coffee, green tea has been shown to help us burn more calories at rest by 3-6%.
And the cherry on the cake? The effect is even stronger when exercising.
What to do?
Drink one to 2 cups of green tea per day. (Don’t add milk in your tea as it would cancel the effects).
If you prefer to take supplements instead, it is fine as many studies showed the same effects with green tea extracts in supplements such as this one through Amazon. we did not test it ourselves but many of our readers suggested this brand.
In order to make sure your body does not get used to it, we recommend you as we did for coffee to drink or take green tea supplements for 2 weeks then stop for 2 weeks and so on. Tip: in the summer, simply keep your green tea in the fridge to have iced tea ready 🙂
11) Hot peppers
If you are not used to adding some spicy hot peppers to your dishes, you should maybe start from now on as this spice can definitely help you burn a few extra calories and some fat in the process.
Many studies show that hot peppers contain a substance called capsaicin that can increase fat burning. (Did you notice how your body kinda heats up when eating spicy dishes?)
The other good thing about hot peppers is the fact that capsaicin can also help reduce calorie intake by reducing appetite.
What to do?
If you don’t mind spicy food, then simply add some chili peppers to your food whenever you can to burn more fat. You can add some to your soups, salads, meat … Of course don’t go overboard. Be moderate.
As was the case with coffee and green tea, tolerance to the effects of capsaicin may develop over time, that is why we recommend you to use it only for a limited period of time (like 2 weeks, then stop for 2 weeks and so on…)
Why not focus on green tea for 2 weeks then coffee for 2 weeks then chili peppers for 2 weeks? 🙂
Of course, keep in mind those foods cannot alone get rid of your unwanted fat; they are only add-ons to be combined with other healthy strategy described in this guide. Everything will add up to help you reach your final face fat reduction goal.
Method 5 : Why sleep can affect your fat burning ability
If your body doesn’t get enough rest and sleep, it doesn’t just cause you to be sleepy the next day.
It may also prevent you from losing weight and burning fat properly.
This is according to a new research by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Yep!! It’s true and here are the reasons why:
Michael Breus, a sleep disorder specialist, says that our body’s metabolism slows down when we don’t get enough sleep. This is because our body is trying to conserve energy to fuel your waking hours. The other consequence of any sleep deprivation is that your body has difficulties using fats from your bloodstream, so they end up being stored in your fat cells.
According to the same specialist, the lack of sleep makes your brain being sleepy too and affects your decision and impulse control ability. It is as if you were a little drunk and unable to say no to any food cravings: you end up with bigger portion of food and more junk food in your diet.
In other words, when you don’t sleep enough:
- Your body makes more ghrelin; this hormone tells your body that it is time to eat.
- Your body reduces the level of leptin. This hormone tells you that you are full, and that you don’t need to eat anymore.
So in a nutshell, the lack of sleep makes you then eat much more than you normally would, leading to overeating and more extra pounds.
Tricks and Tips for a Better Night’s Sleep
You know that sleep is important to burn more fat.
It is suggested to get yourself at least 7-8 hours of sleep at night but what if your had trouble sleeping?
Well here are a few tips to help you.
- Turn off all your screens (cell phones, computers, tablets…) at least 30 mn to 60 minutes before going to bed. That will avoid any brain stimulation that might keep you awake, so this will help your brain slowly prepare itself to a good night’s sleep.
- Turn off all the lights so to be in total darkness. Why? Because, this tells your body to release the sleep hormone (melatonin) and make you fall asleep more easily. (Checking your mobile phone at night even if every light is turned off, will affect your sleep too as they emit what is known as blue light which tells your brain that is is morning…. so try not to check or use your phone in your bed if you want to sleep….
- If you go to bed at different times everyday, your brain and body won’t be totally lost and won’t know when they must get into sleep mode. That is why most sleep experts recommend to stick to a schedule: waking up and getting to sleep at the same times every day, even on weekends. This schedule makes it easier for your brain and body to know what to do when it is time to sleep :), which is sleeping haha.
- If you want to be able to sleep more easily, avoid any heavy meals or caffeine at night as this might prevent you from falling asleep because of the stimulant effect.
Method 6 : how to lose face fat with Surgical Procedures
This method is mainly for those who want to know how to lose face fat fast in a week.
Instead of exercising and losing weight the old fashion way, most people turn to surgery because it is very quick and pretty effective.
Of course you need to keep in mind all forms of surgical procedures carry some risks and downtime.
Weight loss or gain can also affect the results of any surgical procedures; so it is usually recommended to explore the weight loss option first and make sure you are at your ideal weight before resorting to surgical procedures.
so what are the surgical procedures that can help slim your face down or remove facial fat?
Buccal Fat Removal or buccal fat excision
So let’s go back to the earlier part of this guide where we talked about fat pads or fat pockets on the face. Most people complain about their cheeks being too round or chubby.
The reason? Cheek fat that is also called buccal fat.
The “chipmunk cheeks” are due to the presence of bucal fat that are pads of fat that raise the lower part of the cheeks.
If you already lost weight and if you still have those fat pads, chances are you may have a genetic predisposition to have round cheeks.
In this case, surgical removal of the buccal fat could be considered. So your face would look slimmer. It also would draw more attention to the upper part of your face and give the illusion of lifted cheeks.
How is buccal fat removal performed?
You are usually under local anesthesia (unless you are too stressed and request a deeper sedation). The surgeon creates a small incision between the cheeks and gums in the inner side of your cheeks, in order to reach and expose the buccal fat. The surgeon removes the amount of buccal fat you agreed on during your consultation, and closes the incision.
You will feel some minor pain and discomfort after the procedure. Some swelling may occur for a few days (about one week). You may also have trouble chewing during the first 2-3 days. Your diet may be restricted to let your incision line heal.
How long? It will take about 2 months to see the final results of the buccal fat removal. The results are permanent.
Cost? The average cost is $4000 – 5000, depending on several criteria like the amount of fat and surgeon experience.
Risks? The side effects are pretty rare but in some cases, bleeding, loss of sensation can occur near the incision line, or the jawline. If you are in your early or mid 20s, keep in mind, as you get older, some facial fat is lost too, so removing too much face fat at this stage might result in a gaunt look when you get older. Make sure to discuss about the ideal amount of face fat to be removed from your cheeks.
This procedure is commonly performed on the body, but liposuction can be done on certain parts of the face as well as the neck.
Commonly treated areas include the chin, neckline and jawline.
Facial liposuction, also called submental or submentum liposuction, is more and more popular as techniques keep improving with less downtime and risks.
How facial liposuction is performed?
You are usually under light sedation or local anesthesia.
The procedure requires a suctioning device to be inserted into a small incision on the skin. The surgeon inserts a thin tube called a canula, which is moved back and forth to break up the fat and suck it out.
It is very similar to how liposuction is done on other areas of the body. The main difference is the amount of fat that is removed: a few ounces of fat from the face VS pounds of fat in the thighs.
After the surgery, you may feel some mild pain and discomfort, which can be easily relieved with OTC or prescription painkillers. Some swelling and bruising may occur too. Note that some surgeons might request you to wear a compression garment for several weeks to reduce any swelling expecially for the neck and jaw.
How long? It will take more or less about 3-4 months to see the final results of the facial liposuction. The more areas treated, the longer the downtime. The results are permanent but may be affected by weight gain.
Cost? The average cost is $3500 – 5000, depending on the number of areas to treat and your surgeon’s experience. Laser-assisted or ultrasound assisted liposuction may add up the final cost.
Risks? Some complications may occur such as:
- Loss of sensation
- Scarring etc…
As was the case with the buccal fat removal, to avoid any excessive gaunt look when you get older after too much fat suction, make sure to discuss the long-term outlook and the amount of fat to be removed.
Method 7 : Injectables
Aside from surgery, you can also opt for non-invasive approaches in the form of injectables. This method can also be considered by people who want to know how to lose face fat fast in a week.
There are two common kinds of injectables that can reduce facial fat or contour your face to make it look slimmer:
Until now, the only way to get rid of double chin fat was with the surgical procedure : facial liposuction. However, liposuction is considered to be invasive and usually requires that the patient remain in the hospital to heal. That is why fat-melting injectables quickly became popular as non-invasive alternatives
Among the different fat melting injections available, the only one that is FDA-approved so far is kybella.
Formerly known as ATX-101 in the clinical studies, Kybella is a form of deoxycholic acid that is commonly used to reduce moderate to severe fat on the upper neck, also known as double chin.
How is kybella injection performed?
After numbing the area with a lidocaine cream (about 10-20 minutes to kick in) the doctor administers about 10-20 injections of Kybella directly into the double chin fat area. You won’t feel any pain but you might feel a mild burn from the acid starting to work.
Kybella immediately starts to work, by breaking down the membranes of the fat cells. Those cells release its fatty contents in the bloodstream, which is then metabolized by the body.
The good thing is Kybella only destroys the fat cells, without affecting the surrounding cells
After the injections, patients can expect minor bruising, pain, swelling and some numbness near the actual injection site.
Results can be noticed usually pretty quickly in the first days or weeks depending on how quickly you respond. However, keep in mind one kybella session usually is usually not enough and several treatments might be necessary.
The number of treatments needed will vary from one person to the other and depends on the volume of fat and severity. In average, patients need 2-3 sessions. Injections are usually performed in 1-month intervals but can be spaced out a bit further to minimize downtime.
Cost? It is about $1500 per session, so with 2-3 sessions, the average cost is $3000- $4500.
Risks? The main risk is the injury of the marginal mandibular nerve located in the lower neck area, which can lead to loss of control of facial expression, with uneven smile.
When opting for kybella injections, make sure to choose a skilled professional, as injections need to be performed in the fat layer only. Superficial injections can result in skin ulcers and burns.
Potential candidates to kybella injections should also have supple and elastic skin that can snap back once the fat cells are destroyed or you might end up with loose sagging skin.
Keep in mind Kybella is only FDA approved for the double chin treatment; it cannot be used for other parts of the face.
If you remember what we said about the reasons of a chubby face, you know that a prominent jaw can be the result of hypertrophic (overdeveloped) muscles of mastication. These are the masseter muscles along the jaw that are used to chew and clench the teeth.
For some people, these muscles can be so developed that you end up with a bulky jaw that is often mistaken as too much fat in the jaw area.
When the muscles is worked out hard constantly, for example with excessive chewing or clenching, you get more developed jaw muscles, which results in masseter hypertrophy or square jaw.
In this specific case, instead of using fat melting injections or liposuctions, some botox injections could be considered to slim down the face.
How are botox injections performed?
After numbing the treated areas, a few injections of botox are administered to predetermined spots of the jaw, into the muscles along the outer portion and lower portion of the jawline area.
This will help weaken and relax the masseter muscles so they will progressively decrease in size but still enables you to chew. This will give the appearance of a thinner and slimmer lower face
You might feel very mild pain as the solution is injected. The only pain you will be feeling is the very mild and minimal stinging sensation as the solution is injected. Otherwise, any discomfort is highly tolerable and may not require any anesthetics. There will be slight bruising and swelling immediately after the treatment, but this will eventually subside a couple of hours after the treatment.
How long? In average, results are visible after about 4 – 8 weeks after the injection, as you need to wait for the masseter to shrink and get smaller. Unfortunately the results are not permanent and will last for about 6 – 8 months, so a touch up treatment will be necessary to maintain the results.
Cost? The average price for one session is about $600 – $1000 depending on the region and the injector experience and skills. For some cases with larger muscles, 2 sessions might be required to get optimal results, which means the cost will add up as well.
Side effects? There may be slight bruising and swelling after the injection, but it should subside after 24 hours. It is important to consult a skilled professional as botox in the wrong hands can really lead to face distorsion, or uneven jaw muscle contraction.
Method 8 : Radiofrequency energy by professionals and home devices
Currently the most popular treatment for fat or cellulite reduction is radiofrequency.
The reasons? It is effective and non-invasive.
Radiofrequency is an effective technology for non-surgical body contouring and fat reduction. The treatments were mostly used for the body, but are now also performed with great results on face to get rid of pesky fats and tighten loose and sagging skin.
How does it work?
The use of electric currents in medicine is not new and had been pretty well documented for ages in dermatology, cosmetology, cardiology and so on…
Radiofrequency devices use safe electric currents that deeply penetrate the skin layers to selectively create vibrations and heat up the skin tissues.
This local heating /vibration has 3 benefits
- It helps to disrupt fat cells and reduce unwanted and stubborn fats from areas where radiofrequency energy is applied.
- It leads to the tightening of the skin collagen fibers, which helps to fight loose and sagging skin.
- The skin cells (fibroblasts) are stimulated to produce new collagen and elastic fibers
Here is a visual explanation of how it works with the regen device :
There are mainly 2 types of radiofrequency delivery:
- Monopolar or unipolar: the device has only one pole or electrode: ex thermage
- Bipolar: the device has 2 poles or electrodes ex : Regen for professionals and tripollar for home use
Some machines use only monopolar current while others use both monopolar and bipolar currents (this is the tripollar technology, which is often said to be more effective)
How is it performed?
A numbing cream is often used on the area to be treated 15-20 minutes before the treatment per se.
The area to be treated is then mapped out with a kind of treatment grid to guide and assist the doctor when moving the wand on your face to avoid any overlapping. The wand delivers the radiofrequency energy. After treating all the predetermined areas, the doctor applies some soothing gel or lotion. That’s it.
You might experience some redness but it subsides quickly after a few hours.
Right after the treatment, your skin will feel tighter, with more tightening improvements coming gradually over the months after the treatment.
The fat reduction usually appears within the first weeks. This treatment is very effective, which is why it is so popular vs the surgery procedure.
However, many people are not patient enough and expect results after one day, they need to let their body work and metabolize the fats.
The other thing is I don’t understand why some people complain about the fat loss, which is a logical effect of this kind of treatment. I guess the professionals they consulted misled them and did not mention this effect, focusing only of the tightening effect.
With radiofrequency devices, fat loss is normal and for many people, this is what they expect. So simply be clear with your doctor and make sure he or she uses radiofrequency energy only on the face areas where you want to lose fat.
If you are afraid to lose too much fat, you can also use home based radiofrequence devices. The power is lower, as is the risk of too much fat loss if unproperly used.
Here is an example of someone who lost some cheek fat but because the doctor might have used too much radiofrequency energy, the fat loss was too important.
Cost? The average cost for the face in spas, medical offices is between $2000- $3500 depending on the number of areas to treat. Several sessions may be necessary depending on the volume of face fat, which then add up to the final cost. The cost is often an issue, which is why home devices are getting more and more popular.
Side effects? The common side effects are swelling, redness or bruising around the treated areas, which usually subside in a few days or weeks. Temporary feeling of dry skin may occur too: some hydrating cream or gel would be useful there.
One of the most serious potential complications from RF energy treatment is a “depression”; this is attributed to the overheating of underlying tissue causing fat atrophy or excessive tightening, giving you a sunken appearance in the affected area when the doctor uses a frequency level way too high.
This is the most cost effective alternative to RF ( radiofrequency) session in a spa salon. A session in a spa salon can cost around $2000 – $3500 whereas a home device would cost around $500- 700, you can use it as often as you want and you certainly won’t have the risk to overheat your skin leading to fat atrophy or excessive tightening. That is is the case with too powerful professional devices that are unproperly used by professionals. With home base devices, the power has been set up in a way to safely get results and avoid this complication.
2 home machines are available :
- Tripollar via Amazon: this is the absolute leading brand in the market for radiofrequency machines for home use. Our reviewer got great results with face fat loss. She did use it regularly for at least 1 month. However, you got to be patient to get results. The downside is the price, which could be a bit more affordable. if you expect huge fat loss after a few days, forget it. The fat reduction got to be gradual. This is a much safer approach in the long term
- This one via Amazon: this is cheaper than the tripollar one and we are still testing it but the results seem promising. we will update our article later on after 2-3 months.
Method 9: Makeup and Contouring
Knowing how to lose weight in your face or how to get rid of face fat is easy. Taking action can be less easy. First because your need to be motivated and second because depending on the methods you choose, it can take a while before results can be seen.
Invasive and professional procedures tend to cost too much and are cumbersome to deal with because of the downtime.
The next best thing is makeup to give the illusion of a slimmer face.
For centuries, make up has been known to, either drastically or not, changes the way the face appears. Of course, the effect is not permanent because you can wash makeup of with soap and water, but stars like Kim Kardashian swear by it. For example, many have thought that reality star, Kim K, has had her nose done surgically. But, Kim K revealed that it is all thanks to the power of contouring.
Contouring is a makeup technique where you apply shadows on the areas of the face that you want to “move back”. To explain contouring easily, let’s take a look at how light affects our face’s appearance.
When light is shine onto the face, the darker areas seem to move back and the lighter areas or the areas that catch the most light, seem to move forward.
So you can make the face look slimmer by contouring the jaw to make it smaller.
There are several advanced techniques to contouring, but here how you can do the most basic one. for those who wonder what to use, you can have a a look at this awesome kit either in powder form here from Amazon mostly for oily – combination skin or in cream here for dry skin
How to do contouring:
- Choose a foundation /powder color that’s three shades darker than your original skin tone. TIP: Because you’re sculpting your face by shading it with a darker color, choose a product that’s matte. You don’t want something sparkly that can attract more light to the shaded areas.
- Next, take a fluffy brush and dip it into your foundation or powder. Starting from your temples, trace your hairline downward and then move the brush over your cheeks. Next, continue by directing the brush inwards and then tracing where your jaw bone starts all the way down to your jawline. For you to imagine this better, this of it as drawing a number 3 on the side of your face, starting from the temples of your cheeks.
- Blending is the key. This is why it is necessary to use a fluffy brush. If you feel like the lines are still too harsh, go over them again with the same brush.
Contouring alone can make it seem like you have a slimmer face, but if you apply highlighting techniques together with contouring, you’ll get better results.
Highlighting is the opposite of contouring. Instead of shading in the sides of your face, you’re going to lighten up the center of it so that area catches a person’s (or camera’s) sight more.
How to do highlighting:
- Choose a foundation/powder color that’s three shades lighter than your original skin tone. There are also specific cosmetic products that are called highlighters, but a lighter foundation or concealer will do.
- Apply your highlighter under your eyes, on the center of your forehead, on your brow bone that’s right beneath your eye brows, your nose and your chin.
- Blend everything until your entire look is seamless.
TIP: As mentioned, there are different kinds of highlighters in the market. Some are very shimmery and sparkly – these you can use on the highest points of your cheeks, on the tip of your nose and on your brow bone. You cannot use these on your forehead, on your chin or under your eyes because you want to avoid looking oily. In these areas, opt for lighter concealers or foundations.
Please take note that highlighting and contouring requires practice.
Other Tips for a Slimmer Face
- Go to a salon spa and enter the sauna for a couple of minutes. The sauna will help you heat up your body and your fat. The heat is said to improve circulation and it can help dissolve some fat tissue and other toxins to be eliminated through sweating.
- Avoid sitting for long periods of time. Sitting or being in one position for a long time impedes circulation and increases pressure within the body. Have you ever noticed your feet swelling after hours of sitting? This can happen with other areas of your body too like your face if blood circulation is not flowing well in your entire body.
- Avoid high sugar and sodium diets. This is just a reminder as it was already mentioned earlier. Sodium and sugar attracts water, so if you don’t want to feel and look bloated, avoid binging on sugary and salty goodies!
- Stress is a major culprit in the body retaining water. Because of stress, your body malfunctions. It also causes the pressure in your blood vessels to increase which then causes the body and face to retain water to compensate.
- Bodywraps can also help in getting rid of some fat and excessive water, which will definitely show in the long run in the face. we wrote a full article about homemade body wraps here
After reading our complete guide, you should know how to get rid of face fat naturally or how to reduce face fat for men or women as you can easily combine the different methods that are available, depending on your volume of fat, the timeframe you have, your budget and your personal preferences.
Please let us know your results and what methods worked best for you.
In the meantime, be beautiful and be awesome.