You know, makeup isn’t the only thing that’s going to make you look fabulous.
In my opinion, before resorting to foundations, blushes, mascaras, concealers and so on, you should concentrate on other things that could really be worth the effort.
Sure, makeup can cover up whatever imperfections you may have but remember that there will be situations that will require you NOT to wear any make up at all like at the beach, swimming, hiking, staying home, sleeping over a boyfriend’s house and so on.
If you need to wake up 30mn before your husband or your boyfriend just to make sure to wear make up before he wakes up, you know there is a little issue….
Well, is it possible to avoid any make up and still be looking pretty or beautiful ?
Frankly we think so, and we will give you some nice tips that should help you. You be the judge.
Here are 20 tips to show you how to look good without makeup and without too much effort:
1) Exfoliate your skin, earn money and get the best of your cosmetics.
Do you have a facial scrub? If not, you should be getting one. Exfoliating once or twice a week helps your skin look young and fresh without the use of any make up trick.
Exfoliation reveals younger, fresher and healthier skin, it fades your acne scars or marks, plus it makes your skin feel really smooth after you’ve washed the exfoliating product off.
Because you have a dead layer of skin that may give you that dull complexion and the dreaded “tired” look. So you need to wipe it off, get rid of that old layer and reveal the fresh skin below that will make you shine even if you don’t apply any foundation.
If you want to take exfoliation to the higher level (available for home use), we would recommend you to use a home microdermabrasion machine with a diamond tip that will remove and suck away the dead cells to fade acne scars, wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots etc… The optimum results usually appear after a cycle of 10 microdermabrasion sessions and those results are pretty amazing in the long run..
We are a big fan of this technology as it is by far the most effective anti aging treatment. Everyone here at myawesomebeauty.com team loves it. We wrote a complete guide about it here.
If we had to choose between an anti-aging serum and a microdermabrasion system, it is a no-brainer we would pick the microdermabrasion unit that we can use for life…. This is basically a machine that is very similar to those used by estheticians in salon spas for celebrities.
“Hey!! You mentioned getting the best of our cosmetics, what did you mean?” Ok here it is.
The other big advantage of exfoliating your skin is: removing the dead old layer will also increase the effectiveness of your skincare products, as they will more easily reach the deeper layer of your skin. So you can benefit from 100% of your expensive serum, so no more money down the drain. It is like saving money.
Tip to earn money: you can purchase a microdermabrasion unit and even “rent” it to your neighbours, friends or organize microderm parties asking a small fee to each person to earn some money at the same time. Some of our readers earn $100-200 per week. Sweet, isn’t it?
When I heard about microdermabrasion, I was a bit skeptical at first as I really loved my homemade scrub with sugar, but after testing one microdermabrasion session in a salon spa in New york, I was hooked and I did spend lots of money to get super smooth and youn skin…. So when home microdermabrasion machines were launched, I had to get mine.
We did a lot of testing to find the best microdermabrasion machines for home use. (Avoid the crystal-based machine, check our complete guide here to understand why and know what to avoid so you get the best machine for you)
Of course, after exfoliation, you absolutely need to moisturize your skin.
2) Moisturize, and how to quickly turn your summer day cream into a winter one.
Exfoliating and moisturizing are vital components of your skincare routine to get a better-looking skin that doesn’t need make up or at least not as much.
Exfoliating your skin is the first step to get rid of dead cells that clog your pores, but then you are only mid way through your goal. You need to moisturize your skin to keep and lock that moisture in and avoid a rough and dry skin like sandpaper.
Besides, most moisturizers, whatever form they come in, have several other benefits like minimizing pores, reducing fine lines and so on, so what have you got to lose?
Why are hydration and moisture so important?
A dehydrated skin is a rough surface that looks grey, and dull. By moisturizing it properly, you make sure your skin is smoother and can better reflect light and give that natural glowing effect. This is a good way to look good in pictures.
Why do you think Korean girls keep applying layers and layers and layers of serums and moisturizers… and the end result? They have gorgeous skin…
(Do I need to remind you that sunscreen is also a must to protect your skin and avoid sun spots, wrinkles and premature skin aging…)
Tip: when it is colder, I simply add 1-2 drops of pure argan oil or jojoba oil to the amount of cream for my whole face, mix it before applying to my skin and voilà, I have a cream that can be used for dry skin as well…or for winter 😉
3) Use serums and why 28 is the magic number.
Serums are a great way to transform your skin by infusing it with high concentrations of actives, which helps to wake it up and give it a boost.
Think of serums like energy skin shots that are meant to regenerate your skin.
Supplements help to give orally what your skin needs, but sometimes, you also need to bring those actives locally because skin is also the last organ to get the nutrients from nutrition as vital organs are served first.
That is why adding from time to time serums right below your mositurizers is a must do if you want to make your skin look good without makeup.
We know some of you asked us some recommendations.
We can only recommend the ones we have tested so far (for some of them, we are currently writing the reviews.)
If the goal is getting a skin you don’t need to hide under thick layers of make up, we would focus on serums that would hydrate and erase your dark spots, your scars etc..
One serum we love is the B5 Hyaluronic Plumping Serum from Zenmed, which helps to rehydrate and replump your skin.
We got some great results after only 3 days with a skin that looks stronger and moisturised. It is also way cheaper and has more actives than the one from skinceuticals.We love it because of its composition and the results we got, let alone the 60-day guarantee that is a nice way to test it without risk. Check it here on the official website.
You can also try their retinol serum (called retinol booster) that helps to decrease the depth and size of your wrinkles for younger skin. It works wonders if you are consistent for at least 3-4 weeks.
To answer some of you about their Anti Scar Serum (called skincorrect), we can’t say anything about it because we did not test it yet, but will keep you posted once we have some results to share. One of our reader says it is super effective. Needless to say that here we are looking forward to testing this baby.
They all have a sweet 60 day money back guarantee. I love those offers 🙂 So you can easily try them risk free. Check them here.
Yeah serums are great but don’t expect them to work after the 1st application, give it a few days to work their magic. You will usually get optimum results after 28 days, which is the natural time for skin renewal.
Yep, 28 days is the magic number to keep in mind when testing any skin care product if you want to have a fair asessment of its efficacy. (Of course there are exceptions with peelings or scrubs… The results should be pretty immediate 😉 or at least be visible after a few days)
Tip: to get the most of your serums, apply them right after washing your face or right after exfoliating your skin so to enable a good penetration of it.
4) Eat Healthy and how to get started
Cliché, cliché but whatever! Everybody knows that when you eat healthy, it will reflect on your skin and your face. You won’t only look better with healthier skin, you’ll also feel healthier too, which is a nice bonus.
Because we know that beauty starts with what you eat. Eating junk food every day is a surefire way to get that tired and dull look. And as a result, you will need some good foundation to cover and give your skin some colors… Yes, your skin absolutely needs vitamins, antioxidants, and healthy nutrients to regenerate and create new skin cells. That is as simple as that.
Have you ever noticed that there are days when you look great and others when your skin looks awful? I bet if you could check what you had eaten or drunken for the preceding days, you would probably find out that the healthier your diet was, the healthier looking your skin was.
Tip: of course, don’t worry; you don’t need to completely change your diet. As the saying goes, a long journey starts with one step… Why not start with eating one additional fruit everyday instead of that chocolate snack you like…. And building up from there.
We all give up before even starting simply because we get discouraged by the amount of changes or work it requires from us. Start by one tiny, little step. That is the easiest way to reach your goals: by turning a big challenge into more manageable bits.
So for those who think you need to give up everything you like, erase that idea from your mind; remember the key word is balance.
Chips, hamburgers, fried chicken wings (my favorites) are absolutely fine as long as you don’t go overboard. The other keyword to keep in mind is: pleasure.
5) Use Supplements but avoid that one.
Ok, eating healthy 100% of the time is probably not easy and possible for most people, me included for many reasons.
There’s too much food temptation in the world!
And we sometimes don’ have enough time to get fresh food everyday, so what can we do?
Take the right supplements to get what your skin needs.
Some examples would be Vitamin C, E, Collagen and Biotin.
If your skin is very dry, think of taking some supplements such as phytoceramides recommended by some experts like Dr Oz, which help to retain and increase levels of skin moisture. A better hydrated skin is a skin that will look healthier and help you look great even without a truckload of make up on… If your skin looks great, make up is not as necessary for sure.
If you skin is acne prone, try the great herbal pills that gave us awesome results for our acne skin treatment review here when testing their whole acne package. These pills help your skin to clear and get rid of acne bacteria. Of course, you don’t need to buy the skincare products, unlike some brands whose slogan is: you buy all or nothing. And the good thing you are fully covered by a 60-day money back guarantee. That also means you will save up on that double foundation layer you usually apply just to cover the zits…
By the way, AVOID this one, we find it way expensive for what it is, so if you don’t want to throw your money down the drain, avoid it.
If your skin needs some antiaging boost, you should have a look at collagen: it is basically an anti-aging miracle, because as we age, our collagen stock decreases which leads to wrinkles and loss of elasticity. The form I love is a powder form that I like to add to my smoothies every other day for my skin, it can also help with joints but I am too young yet haha. There is no useless filler here. And you also have some vitamin C included, which makes it a good mix too boost your collagen production, so you don’t need to add anything. Check it here.
Just remember that if you have any doubt, make sure to consult your physician or nutritionist beforehand.
6) Drink water (and benefit from the unexpected bonus effect)
Water may not come from the fountain of youth but not drinking enough of it will surely make your skin look dull, dry and aged.
You know what happens if you don’t drink enough water, don’t you?
You skin will be dehydrated and you will look older.
At my awesomebeauty.com, we will keep telling you to drink, drink… and drink… and we are not alone to say that: the all time Catwalk queen and supermodel Naomi Campbell keeps saying it to her model apprentices in her TV show “The Face” in UK (season 1 episode 1):
“Do not waste my time, you just have to listen. By the way I want you to drink lots, lots of water. Hydration… water, water, water…”
Because, drinking the recommended amount of water per day ensures that your skin stays hydrated and supple, and helps flush away the toxins causing acne, breakouts… to get that fresh face you want.
That means at least 1L per day, and I mean filtered water or mineral water without any additives ranging from sugar, syrup, flavourings or alcohol: so no soda, wine or beer…. 🙂 because water is used by your body to hydrate and filter your cells; so you need to drink pure water to make that filtering as effective as possible.
If you skin is hydrated, it also means it will be plumper and that will also take a few years away… without cheating too much 🙂
Of course, don’t drink 1 L of water in one shot, but drink one glass of water regularly throughout the day.
My tip: keep that 1L bottle of water near your desk or anyplace within sight so that reminds you to drink.
I bought a Polar Bottle Insulated Water Bottle, that I fill with filtered water everyday. Oh and for those who try to lose weight, drink cold water : that is the bonus effect.
Because, when the cold water comes into contact with your body, there is some sort of heat transfer going on, which means your body will warm it up and make it equalize within 2-3 minutes. By doing so, your body will burn some calories in order to keep its temperature constant : hydrated skin with a few calories burnt 😉
7) Eyebrow grooming with our recommended path for beginners
To look good bare faced, you should draw the attention to your eyes.
How? One way for you to do so is by having well groomed brows.
Why? Because removing any stray hairs really help to frame your eyes and gives you better and more defined facial features as a result without resorting to make up.
If the term “well groomed brows” is not familiar to you, your brows are probably looking like Ugly Betty’s but, of course, there’s hope. You just have to shape your brows by trimming and plucking.
How do you do that?
- Threading – Must be done by a PRO. This involves using intertwined threads to remove hairs on your face or body.
- Waxing – Can be DIY-ed or done by a PRO. There are plenty of DIY waxing kits in the market for specific areas on your face and body but, if you’re a beginner, you might find it difficult and you may not get all the hairs out. A good alternative is to get your brows waxed at a salon – let the experts handle it. And maintain the shape yourself with plucking in the long run.
- Shaving – DIY. There’s a tool called an eyebrow shaver (an example click here) . Its head looks really thin which allows you to easily shave and shape your brows. It is pretty handy when tweezing is too painful for you. Yet, just be careful that you don’t go crazy while shaving and check how to use it below.
- Plucking and Trimming – DIY. You can definitely pluck and trim at home. All you need are 3 things: eyebrow brush, tweezers and scissors small enough to get to your eyebrows without poking your eye. The steps are pretty easy. Here are 2 basic brow tutorial videos to follow.
Here are the 3 tools that we like and that are pretty popular among beautystas :
- Tweezerman tweezers ( This is the one and only brand that you should use; after using it, you definitely won’t go back to other brands. There are many colors and sizes to choose from. Check them here. )
- Scissors ( we really like tweezerman ones here but there are also other brands you can try.)
- Eyebrow brush ( the one that we like is this one – good quality and cheap. We cannot live without it. If you are serious about brow grooming, this tool is a must-have . )
In case you are interested by the book of Sasha ( from the second eyebrow tutorial video) DIY braids, check it here. That is another nice way to look good without make up 🙂
As we told you, for beginners, we advise you to go to a beauty salon spa to get your brows done and simply maintain their shape at home with a good pair of tweezers. Growing eyebrows is not easy; so better be safe than sorry.
Tip: to give your brows an even more defined look you can use a dab of any hair pommade to style them the way you want. We also found this brow primer /wax pommade (picture right below) that one of my friend asked me to test but haven’t the time yet. If you test it, feel free to let us know what you think about it.
8) Use DIY face-masks to shine
I love DIY facemasks. I really do. Have you ever noticed that after each mask you have that glowy skin which almost makes make up useless?
It is simply the moisturizing effect times ten, as you let your skin absorb all the actives it may need. You skin is fully moisturized, replumped for a glowy look.
So feel free to use facemasks as often as you want to relax while watching your favorite TV series or listening to your favorite singer.
I have a combination skin type – oily and normal – and I have lots of clogged pores so what I use is a DIY clay mask that warms up upon contact with my skin. It detoxifies my face and loosens the dirt that’s inside my pores. It also helps reduce my T-zone’s oiliness. After washing my face, I always have a much more uniform complexion and silky smooth skin.Ok, in a nutshell, I feel and look prettier 🙂
There are a lot of DIY mask recipes available (we are working on a post with a few recipes we like) where we mainly use Indian clay powder as the main ingredient to draw out toxins or seaweed powder to revitalize dull and aging skin (those are really must haves for your skin care routine, they are also used to make very effective home made body wraps as we covered that in our article here)
—- Glowing skin mask recipe —-
Ingredients for 1 facial mask:
- 2 Teaspoons (Tsp) of pure and unpolluted clay ( We used this favorite brand to draw out toxins and reveal a more flawless skin with smaller pores)
- 1 Tsp of coconut oil (this one is great quality for a reasonable price)
- 2 Tsp of pure water
- Optional : 1-2 drops of neroli oil ( is known to have a rejuvenating effect, and I love its scent )
- Mix everything to get a nice paste with your desired consistency.
- Add more water if you want it to be more liquid or more clay powder if you want it to be thicker. But keep in mind if it is too liquid, it will be pretty messy and hard to apply.
- Pull your hair back and apply to your face.
- Let the mask dry and pull out the toxins
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- Apply a moisturiser or a serum
—- Antiaging mask recipe —-
Ingredients for 1 facial mask:
- 1 tsp of seaweed powder ( We used this brand. Pure organic kelp powder harvested from the Atlantic Ocean – revitalizing, refreshing with vitamins, minerals )
- 2 tsp of pure water
- 1 tsp of aloe vera gel ( awesome hydrating and soothing gel)
- Optional: 1-2 drops of carrot seed oil ( can help to fight skin aging )
- Place the seaweed powder in an empty bowl, mix it with water
- Add aloe vera gel and mix
- Add the essential oil
- Add more water if necessary to get your desired consistency
- Apply the mask to your face and leave on for about 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- Apply moisturizer or serum
But when I don’t have much time or when I need more intense moisturizing with ingredients that are not easily available to the public (unless you are a cosmetic formulator) , I use those Korean masks here that are probably the best masks on earth. The aquaringer one ( the blue one) is the one to go for, the others from the same brand are more expensive and not necessarily better in my opinion. So stick with the blue one, if you try it.
Every time my Korean friend comes to visit me, I always ask her to bring me a truckload of these, they are packed with a high amount of actives with an impressive list of ingredients. Koreans girls swear by them to get that super smooth and moisturised skin. Our cosmetologist friend loves them too… So we know they are worth it. (There are a lot of brands, some being more glamourous, more chic, or more expensive but simply stick with this specific brand, they are by far the most cost effective and you really get your money’s worth.)
If you try them, you might get addicted. Just saying…. 🙂
Tip: when you remove the mask from the bag, don’t throw away the bag right away, as you will find in it a pretty good amount of extra solution that I use as a serum. You can either pour it in a bottle or simply keep it in the bag.
Another tip: keep your masks in your fridge, so each time you use it, you will get a nice cooling effect that will help with puffiness. In summer, that is the best thing to do. Enjoy.
9) Longer and fuller lashes: the natural DIY way with a specific oil.
For sure, you probably like to use some mascara to enhance your eyes. I am pretty addicted to it myself.
A full set of lashes can definitely make your eyes look tantalizing, drawing even more all the attention on this part of your face as we already did with brows grooming.
Why do you think Kim Kardashian still looks fabulous without the makeup?
It’s the long, spidery lashes, I tell you.
So what can we do to make them longer without make up: lash growing serum and/or lash curler.
Lash growing serum
A lash serum helps nourish your lashes, making them look full, instead of sparse, long and feathery, instead of short and nonexistent.
In fact, there are tons of lash serums available on the market but I am sorry to tell you that most of them are pretty useless…
They cost a fortune from $100-150 and are simply a mix of water with some polymers and some trendy actives that are more active on the paper than in real life. You get the feeling it works because the polymers thicken your lashes….
You would probably get better results by using some castor oil ( a super cheap solution) that is pretty known for hair growth and get stronger lashes with a much cheaper alternative. This is what we call the DIY method.
I got much stronger lashes by using a tiny drop of it on my lashes, it took about at least 6 weeks to see noticeable results, but I could feel thicker and a bit longer lashes. Ok, don’t get me wrong I am not saying it will give you a 50% increase but frankly it is worth it.
Out of 5 friends who tried it, only 1 did not see any length increase, she did notice her lashes were stronger and thicker though.
You need to make sure the oil is 100 % pure of course. The castor oil brand we used is this one.
You need to be consistent though. So if you can’t comply with it everyday. You‘d better forget it.
The other way to get “longer” lashes is by using an eyelash curler. Your lashes won’t be longer per se but with some curling, they will look so.
It will make your eyes appear wider which will enable you to give that geisha look (those who have seen the movie “Memoirs of a Geisha” should know what I am talking about; if not, you know what to do, go and watch it haha)
As a reminder, in the movie scene : “You cannot call yourself a true geisha until you can stop a man in his tracks with a single look. »
How do you curl your lashes?
First, you have to buy a reliable lash curler. We love this one here, which is one of the best curler we have ever used. This is a tool probably every woman should own.
Every make up professional uses it. This device can look a little scary but when you actually use it, you’ll find that it’s completely painless and easy.
- Position your curler near your eye. Place your lashes in the curler.
- Slowly squeeze the lash curler handles together and hold it tight for 10 seconds.
- Slowly release the handles and move your curler away from your eye. You’re done!
Tip: you can simply make your lashes look a bit thicker with a dab of Vaseline, then simply comb then with a eye brush. It’s pretty easy too.
10) Giovanni is waiting!
Who the heck is Giovanni? Don’t mind me; it’s just my overactive imagination thinking that most fancy hair salons have hairdressers with the name Giovanni.
Don’t ask why. 😉
Point is, you shouldn’t skip visiting your hair person. He or she will have loads of awesome suggestions for you to keep your hair bouncy and healthy. These could include regularly getting a trim, maybe deep conditioning when your hair’s too dry and not washing your hair everyday when it’s too brittle.
What the heck does your hair styling have to do with you looking good without make up?
It is simple. You will draw the attention to your hair and less on your face.
Imagine you have dirty, greasy and flat hair with your face without make up. Not sure you will look good…. If you remove the dirty hair from the equation, I guess you have much more chances to be pretty even without make up on 😉
So try new haircuts that will suit your features, new hair colors, different styles.
You can even try the DIY hairbraid we mentionned earlier with the brow grooming, There are tons of books, tutorials.
Why not curl your hair? Or on the contrary straighten them?
Well the key phrase here is: experiment the styles you want.
So if you don’t want to wear make up you need at least to spend a little time on your hair. Thank god the title of this article is not how to look good without makeup and greasy hair haha: that would have made things so muck trickier 🙂
11) Dress Better and avoid oversized clothes
You probably guessed it. Another way to look pretty without make up is simply to dress better.
Yep, throw away that old, worn out and oversized yellow T-shirt you like that would get you caught by the fashion police (We miss you Joan Rivers).
By dressing better, you simply compensate and draw attention away from your face. So take that extra time usually devoted to make up to choose an outfit which makes you look great, confident and beautiful.
Don’t be afraid to mix styles to create you own. Your outfit is an extension of your personality. It makes a statement. We want you to shine.
It doesn’t need to be super original.
A simple white t-shirt and a a pair of jeans could do the trick as long as they are your size.
Simple and classy, that is all what it takes.
When I feel like shopping clothes (and I do almost 24 hours a day), I like to browse through fashion websites, such as shein.com fashion website that we love and which proposes great pieces and accessories at reasonable prices that can litteraly spice up your ordinary outfit to make a killer impression. I love their affordable dresses and their tops. This online fashion retailer has probably one of the biggest network of fans in the world. Go check their website and you will see why we love them.
Yep you got it: It’s not all about concentrating on your face or your hair.
Focusing on what you’re wearing can draw attention away from those things.
Sometimes, it’s simply all about what you wear and how you act while wearing your outfit.
12) Cheat with BB creams
I am sure you know what BB creams stand for but in case you don’t, here is a little summary:
BB simply stands for Beauty Balm and is simply an all in one product that basically claims to replace your serum, moisturizer, and foundation in one product. Sweet, isn’t it?
It kinda helps people who are pretty busy to shorten and simplify their beauty regimen. (So we all have more time to spend with our beloved one, yep feeling a bit romantic here)
It has been around for a long time, mainly in Asia. Last time I was in Seoul, in South Korea, I was suprised by the incredible number of different BB creams. Koreans are basicaly crazy about them.
Every brand there has their own specific BB creams. I wanted to test everything and finally ended up paying some excess baggage fees with my return flight… (But it was worth it)
The BB trend started in the US recently and seems to be still at its earliest stages compared to the situation in Asia.
The great thing about BB products is that they can be used as a highlighter, a primer a moisturizer, concealer, foundation etc… Some have SPF protection, antiaging actives, antioxydants etc…
In a nutshell, to quote our cosmetologist friend:
BB creams are tinted moisturizers on steroids.
I have to admit, that some of you could say it is simply make up.
I would agree partially, but I still think that when we want to look great without make up, we simply want to find ways to be pretty even if we don’t spend hours applying mascaras, lipsticks, foundations etc… So using bb creams is a great way to get that done without make up per se.
We could make a whole article on BB creams but that would take us beyond the scope of this article. (That is on our to do list though)
If you want to try some BB creams, keep in mind you might be overwhelmed by the choice.
Why? Because some are colorless, some add partial color, partial or full coverage. It simply depends on what yoy are looking for.
To give you some ideas to start with, you should take a look at :
- Smashbox camera ready BB cream: it is one of the most famous BB creams among professional make up artists because it gives a really good coverage with a texture easy to dealt with. When they don’t have time, and need to quickly transform our favorite actresses or models into hotties, that is the one that is often recommended in the beauty industry.
- Aveeno facial moisturiser clear complexion BB cream, this one has a light coverage so don’t expect to cover major imperfections but the great pro is the fact it is sensitive skin friendly and it has a SPF of 30.
If you have asian skin, or pale skin then you absolutely need to have a look at korean brands such as :
- Etude House Precious Mineral BB Cream Cotton Fit : This is an excellent BB cream that comes in different shades and has a really nice powdery matte finish that is super natural and not cakey or heavy at all, with good oil control.
- Andalou Naturals Brightening SPF 30 All In One Beauty Balm : it is a nice moisturiser and blends well with skin once your warm it a little between your fingers. It gives some nice coverage of my redness and I love the orange smell.
- 100 percent pure Primer: It is not a BB cream per se, but a primer that is lighter and that we absolutely love. It has some nice reflective pigments to give a luminous and glowing complexion. It instantly livens up any dull skin. I usually wear it before applying make up but it works great if you simply use it to give your skin a nice boost during your no-makeup day.
- Even if most BB creams claim to be moisturizing, we found out you usually get better results if you apply your favorite moisturizer first before applying the BB cream, especially if you have dry skin. Otherwise, you might find your skin a bit dry and flaky. With a moisturized skin, that makes it easy to work with. After dotting the beauty balm on your face, you can easily smooth it out with your fingers ( I prefer to use my fingers instead of using a sponge, but it is up to you, and what works best for you). If you have oily skin, you can probably skip this step.
- If the shade you get is too dark, before throwing it; simply mix a few drops of BB creams with a few drops of a non-tinted moisturizer. On the contrary if the shade you got is not dark enough, mix a few drops of your foundation in to get a more suited shade.
13) White teeth to shine for a brighter smile
What do our favorite models and actresses have in common when they smile for pictures? Yep, a killer smile, so bright you may need sunglasses.
A white smile alone is probably a must have if you want to look good without make up, it can absolutely give a nice boost to your overall look, that is why you want to pay attention to your dental hygiene.
Do we need to remind you of the healthy teeth rules? (Never mind let’s do it, we all need reminders)
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day for about 2 minutes. You should brush at a 45-degree angle to your gums, gently brushing with short strokes.
- Use a toothpaste containing fluoride. Because fluoride helps strengthen your tooth enamel to prevent tooth decay.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 months. Choose a soft brush to avoid irritating the gums.
- A tootbrush may not be enough. Use dental Floss, interdental cleaner in-between teeth to remove plaque. You may also want to add an anti-bacterial mouth rinse to your daily brushing routine.
- Use a power toothbrush, which is proven to remove more plaque and debris than a manual one. (Oral B is the leading brand in the world) for those who haven’t switched to power toothbrush, you should give a try, this is like day and night. I was skeptical at first, but after the first try, I was hooked. The one I use is this one here. It is effective and is affordable.
And be sure to have a professional cleaning twice a year or more. Speak to your dentist if you have pain, swelling, bleeding, or notice strange changes in your teeth or gums.
You could also consider whitening your teeth, either by a dental professional or with these whitening strips for home use below.
Whatever your choice, we recommend you to get a complete assessment of your teeth to make sure you don’t have any cavities or contradindications that could get in the way.
If you prefer the home treatment option, we recommend you the leading CREST brand. They are brilliant.
You can find many packages of 10-20 treatments / whitestrips that will give you really nice results.
The package we like is this one here. It is the most popular one without extra fluff. There are other packages that are more expensive but we usually stick to this kit because it is the best deal for us.
14) Enhance your lips
You won’t be surprised if I tell you that another way to look pretty without makeup is to keep your lips looking super smooth.
Dry and craked lips are certainly not making you look at your best, and won’t feel nice when kissing your beloved one. So make sure to take care of them by exfoliating and moisturizing them.
Exfoliation: remember not to over exfoliate because you don’t want to strip the natural oil that protects your lips.
There are many ways to smooth your lips :
- Dip an old toothbrush in some vegetable oil (anything in your kitchen should be fine) then gently brush the dead skin off your lips.
- If you need a stronger approach, mix some sugar with some honey and use it like a scrub on your lips with a toothbrush or simply with a finger.
After exfoliation, comes the moisturizing step.
I know some people recommend vaseline, or paraffine lip balms.
Ok don’t get me wrong, they are great to protect your lips but the thing is we tend to swallow what we put on our lips.
So, I recommend you to use a greener version like the one below.
There are tons of natural lip balms with beeswax and coconut oil that are as effective like this one and this one that I usually use when going out for my yoga or Pilates session. Try them you are going to love them.
15) Get rid of pimples / get clear skin
What bothers us the most or makes us so uncomfortable going out bare faced is usually the pimples on our face that make us look bad. So we spend hours and hours hiding them.
What about getting rid of them? That would sure make us feel more confident and less stressed to go out without make up.
If you follow our previous recommendations (drink water, eat healthier) you should notice fewer pimples in the long run as it greatly influences your body and skin ability to detox.
Yet, that is not enough and you need local treatments (regular exfoliation, skin moisturization) to avoid pores from getting blocked, remove any excess dirt, oil and bacteria from the surface of your skin.
But among the rules to follow, you should also keep in mind not to ever skip the daily cleansing step.
Your skin is an amazing organ (total surface of 1,8 m2 and a total weight of about 11 kg) that acts like a protective shell. It has 3 main functions: protection, regulation and sensation.
Let’s skip the sensation part for this article.
Our skin protects us from microbes, dirt, and helps regulate our body temperature with sweat etc… So if you want to avoid pimples, you know that daily cleansing is a MUST, to get rid of those microbes and sweat that may build up and lead to pimples.
Of course, removing make up is also mandatory….
- Use a good facial cleanser. There are a lot of products available in the market but if there was ever one thing to remember it’s this: the soap you use for your body, most of the time, is not formulated to care for the skin on your face, as it is usually too harsh.
- Stick to a mild cleanser, as you obviously don’t want to strip the oil out of your face, which could backfire and do more harm than good. If necessary, take a look at this cleanser.
Of course, what to do if you already have pimples?
Here are a few of our favourite tips that we got from some models and experts, which could save you 😉
- Use some tea tree oil on your zits; it is one the most effective essential oil with antibacterial properties that can help reduce redness and inflammation. It absolutely works wonders. I always keep one bottle in my bag. If I ever feel a pimple at its earliest stage (you know that itchy feeling, I apply some pure tea tree oil on it and voilà, it stops the process right away.) Tea tree oil is an absolute must have that many models use to keep a clear face and fight unwanted pimples.
- If you don’t have any tea tree oil handy, you can use some regular toothpaste; leave it overnight on the pimple and notice the next day how smaller it is….
If you need to fight acne, tee tree oil won’t probably be enough and we would recommend you to stick to products targeted at oily or acne prone skin. Check our reviews of proactive plus, exposed skincare and our recommended acne treatment zenmed.
16) Whiten your eyes
Another tip stolen from supermodels that could help you is to get rid of those red eyes, which give an overall impression of tiredness …
Your eyes look red simply because your eye blood vessels bulge which gives this reddish look due to allergies, lack of sleep or eye strain.
Why should you care about it?
By removing and reducing the redness, your eyes will be much brighter and look “bigger”. In other words, you get that sparkle that gives an overall impression of health and alertness.
What to do?
Of course, the first thing that we will recommend you is to get enough sleep. It won’t cost you anything ;).
Yep, that is common sense but we sometimes need a little reminder: your body needs to rest to look good and feel good.
However, let’s face it, sometimes it is easier said than done (fortunately, no one can see me while I am writing this article; my eyes are pretty red from too much screen time).
If you need a quick fix, then you can have a look at eye whitening drops (used by models and celebrities) to relieve and “magically” whiten bloodshot eyes by reducing the blood vessels. They also usually contain some lubricants to help with dryness as well.
The most popular brand is this one here. Simply add a drop or two to each eye for brightness and clarity.
However, please remember that even though those whitening eye drops work wonders in a few minutes, we don’t recommend their use for extended periods of time. If you intend to use it every day of the year, it is a big NO NO. Only use them from time to time when you need that extra boost.
17) Cheeks and circulation
What is the difference between someone who exercises and spends some time outdoors and a potato couch (sorry we are a bit blunt here).
There are many differences, but one of the most striking differences is the skin complexion.
When exercising, you stimulate your blood circulation and that alone boosts your skin appearance. That gives you a fresh glowing skin that looks full of life and vitality because blood helps to remove waste products from skin cells, and bring oxygen and nutrients to the cells.
So by promoting blood circulation, you boost your skin metabolism and literally wake it up.
The most obvious visual sign of this blood circulation is the little rosy colour in the cheeks, after your work out routine.
One of our readers (Mandy from Chicago) sent us an email with a fun tip:
If you are after those rosy cheeks without make up, simply pinch or gently slap your cheeks and you are done 😉 (that surely helps but we still think you will get more benefits from a good work out haha)
18) Detox your skin pronto
Ok if you read all our tips so far, you are more brave than 90 % of people ;).
And you know we have already covered some ways to help your skin eliminate toxins via clay mask, exfoliation, water.
But we can definitely go a bit further.
To get that beautiful and glowing skin, and help you skin excrete through the pores the toxins that have built up over the years, you can add some more ways to speed up the process.
- Start a detox cure with green smoothies, which will help boost your detoxification process. Yet, we know it can take some time to buy the vegetables, prepare them, blend them etc… So for those who are a bit busy and can’t spend so much time, you can try this product here as you simply need to add some water and mix it.
- We also like this cleanse tea-tox here that will help you detoxify your body.
- Go to a sauna to promote sweating, which is a pretty intense detoxification but remember to drink water 🙂
19) State of mind/smile whenever you can
The motto is: stay positive and don’t be so self conscious. Sounds cheesy?
Yeah I agree, it can sound so.
Yet, Imagine 2 girls, one smiling and having fun and another one that looks bored, and grumpy.
Do I really need to ask you who looks prettier?
Your attitude will greatly influence the way people perceive you.
Jennifer aniston is not the most beautiful woman in the world but her personality radiates. She is positive, funny and doesn’t take things too seriously.
In fact, next time you stumble upon a celebrity pic with no make up who looks really ugly, notice that she is not smiling….Check below in the video when the celebrity smiles even with no make up on, she looks quite pretty 🙂
Don’t we say that a smile is the best make up for a girl?
So next time, you have no make up on, with pimples on your chin, and greasy hair, smile and see the glass half.
In fact, I would even tell you to be even thankful for having a glass to start with 🙂 .
20) The sunglasses
Ok, if none of the tips work for you, we definitely need to bring out the big guns: you need the biggest sunglasses ever to hide your tired, puffy, bloodshot eyes.
If you add a bodyguard next to you, you will also probably arouse the curiosity of people around you, who might think you are a star or something 🙂
Ok, let’s be serious.
You CAN Look Great without Makeup
Did I convince you enough? Let me just repeat this before I end this post, makeup is only a temporary thing.
It can melt, it can fade away, and it can even have bad effects on your skin if you use it too much, too often.
There are always other ways of looking beautiful but the most important lesson has to be this: inner beauty is more important than the outer side, so aside from making yourself look fabulous on the outside, make sure that you already feel fabulous about yourself on the inside.
And the first step to reach that goal is to smile.:)